Thursday, May 12, 2011

Organising in the Third Trimester



Today I've been working on yet another To-Do list, entitled "To-Do Before Peanut Arrives". There's quite alot on the list, and I'm sure it will grow over the coming weeks. While there's still about 8 weeks til baby Peanut is here, I know that this time will fly by and before we know it we will have this precious little person in our lives.


As the cold weather approaches, I will need to go through my winter clothes and find warm items that I fit now and will continue to be able to wear for the rest of my pregnancy. I'm a little apprehensive; I think this pile will be relatively small... which means I may need to borrow late-pregnancy maternity wear from friends or go op-shopping for some extra stretchy items. I don't want to spend alot of money on things I'm only going to use for a few weeks.

Next on the To-Do list is the dreary Centrelink and Medicare forms which will need to be done soon. In some ways I am a terrible procrastinator; especially anything to do with paperwork. When I was studying at university I would leave all of my written assignments til the very last, stressful minute (I worked better under pressure! or at least that was my excuse). Paperwork is still a challenge for me, it's something I really have to force myself to do. I try to get the tedious tasks such as these over and done with so I can move on to something more enjoyable. Like washing and sorting out the new gorgeous cloth nappies my MIL Rhonda gave us today, from http://www.beansproutbubba.com.au/


So, the list so far- winter maternity wear, paperwork, cloth nappies. Rhonda also gave us a toilet-fitting hose for hosing down the cloth nappies, so we will need to fit that onto the toilet tap. I think I will delegate that task to my husband.


I'm sure there's more to do than this though!! Do you have any suggestions? I would love to hear from expectant mothers what is on your "To-Do before Baby Comes" list. BTW we have already got the baby essentials- a cot, pram, change table, plenty of baby clothing, sling, baby bath, baby bouncer, and a whole lot more! I think we are fairly prepared in that department already :-)

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sarndra! i love the idea behind your blog and i definitely need to be inspired to organize myself a bit more!

    Sounds like you are pretty 'organized' for the baby's practical needs. i think something good to do before babies are born is to do something special with your husband as this is the end of 'just the two of you'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarndra, I popped over from Rhonda's blog and I'm enjoying reading your posts.
    Just wondering if you have packed the items you will be taking to hospital when the baby is born yet. I was over prepared and had my things organised 8 weeks before my first baby was due, which turned out to be lucky as she decided to come 6 weeks early, and my first hubby would have been hopeless at packing what I needed. Already being organised definitely made life easier when I took bubs home a couple of weeks after she was born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleep ...........sleep, sleep when you can...lol...that is my biggest advice to any new mum...because it is what you just crave when the beautiful baby arrives.......sleep.......just cos you can....sleep....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can put up any freezer meals or components in the freezer (like cooked meats, chopped veggies, portions of rice), this would be a help when you certainly won't feel up to cooking much after the baby. You could even freeze some baked goods too. I realize your husband is a chef, but anything in advance would be of help later on.

    Also, if you can, try to get the things you need to finish doing out of the way so perhaps the last few weeks you can just relax and as mentioned spend time being with your husband. There won't be much time for being alone later on. :) Babies come on their own schedule, not ours - so it's better to be prepared early if possible.

    Lastly, the last month is a little more difficult with sleeping, so any rest/naps you can give yourself now will only help you later on. You must be very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to second pretty much everything already said - sleep while you can, do some special things together, have your hospital bags ready, and fill up the freezer/pantry - you have no idea how much a breast-feeding, sleep-deprived mother can eat!!

    Make sure you talk through your birth plan with hubby so you both know exactly how you want things to happen, and so he can communicate on your behalf if he needs to. Think about things like what music you might like to listen to during labour, and things like - do you want baby to be given immediately to you for a feed (this wasn't something I had thought to insist on, and as I had a c-section, bubs was whipped away from me and apart from a short cuddle I didn't get to see him for another hour!)...
    Love your blog - I'm looking forward to reading more and getting to 'know' you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book a hair cut for 39w pregnant, and enjoy that little bit of extra attention with the head massage that always accompanies the wash. Not only does the hairdressers' shampoo seem to keep your hair cleaner for longer (a little bonus)but it is very hard to fit a hair cut in with a small baby. Ask yourself: have you ever seen a mother with a baby in a capsule or pram at a hair salon? I only remember doing it twice (once for each child)! It's easy to book an appointment, but it can be hard to keep a newborn happy even for the duration of a hair cut - it's so unpredictable! Buy yourself some time by having this small indulgence as late as you dare in your pregnancy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hsu-Yin! I love your blog Ginger Boo and Pickles(my friend Jamie got me onto it) Your crafts and amazing sewing inspires me :-) Such great advice about doing something special with my husband- thanks xxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi RobynK
    Thanks so much- wow what good advice. Its funny but its hard to consider Peanut could come early- but of course he could!! Eeek I really do need to pack that bag just in case. And also write a list for Shane of things to throw in the bag on the B Day- like the mobile phones and chargers and camera (cant pack that yet- stil using it!) Thanks so much Xxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Enchanted Moments and Ms L- yes sleep and relaxation is high on my To-Do list right now :-) Thanks so much for your kind comments
    Xxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Catherine,
    thanks for the advice. My husband and I were lucky enough to stumble across a wonderful course called Calmbirth, and it has taught us meditation and relaxation exercises, and also helped us to clearly make a wonderful birth plan. We are aiming for a drug free birth (will see how it goes ;-)) and i feel very strongly about having Peanut placed on my chest immediately, and to let him go in his own time to breastfeed, and also to leave the umbillical cord uncut as long as possible for a gentle transition to the "outside" world. Thank you so much for sharing your comments
    XOx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deborah- All I can say is- WILL DO!! Thanks for the advice- I am in desperate need of a haircut (havent had one the whole pregnancy, and I am growing out a short pixie cut so now it just looks like I have a "mullet"!!) Such a great thing to do in my 39th week- might even book in wk 38 in case he comes early!!! Thanks :-)
    Xxo

    ReplyDelete